Thanks! The headpiece isn't too heavy...just a bit. The weight mostly only limits head movement...(too far left or forward is not such a good idea... ) I looked at your work too! Looks great! how did you get your eye piece to stay on?
Haha, yes, I can see how left or forward would be difficult. Also the depth-perception problem of having one eye covered (and in my case, the dominant eye). Oh dear. XD
And thanks so much! I attached the optic/LED assembly to a thick elastic headband that runs around my forehead and under the wig. It worked quite well, even when I bent over, because I made a soft clay base to fit it to my face. It worked a bit too well, though; I had lines on my face after I took it off, and it gave me a headache after 5 hours at a convention. ^_^;
Oh gosh yes, good elastic may hurt a bit, but it never budges! The headband I used even had rubber painted on the underside to help it keep from slipping. (Woulda hurt like heck if I had long hair, haha. Good thing I don't.)
Could you please tell me how you made this head? Including the LED parts (I'm a noob) I would love to cosplay as GLaDOS for a Manga and Videogame con in Switzerland and finding good GLaDOS looking cosplays is hard.
No problem! I'm glad you like it so much! I have another, perhaps a little more detailed description, on the website I've been working on for my costuming projects. Feel free to visit, etc...here's the link: [link]
Just as a warning, the headpiece is really heavy. If I were to redo it, I would probably rethink materials for a lighter piece, but I was working with what I had.
Ok. So. The base is a plaster cast of half of my face. It encompasses a good portion of the back of my head too. I then took a square mesh sort of chicken wire to make the base of the curve and covered that with paper mache. The paper mache was still lumpy and I didn't have a smooth enough curve or surface, so I used clay to finish it off. there is also lots of modge podge involved to help keep the clay from having noticeable cracks and for the shine over the paint. The side pieces were made from mostly platic orange juice carton (two layers glued together to be thicker)...lots of hot glue too. The earpice has a pvc base and the protrusions from it are molded with clay.
I had an mp3 player with the soundtracks and quotes from the game. You extract the quotes from the game audio files (.wav) if you have it on your computer. I had a mini speaker rigged up at the back of the headpiece.
I'm glad you like it so much! Other small details: the waist cinch/corset is a separate piece from the dress. I also had one black and one yellow contact in so that I could still be creepy and in character even without the headpiece on.
The LEDs are pretty simple. They are battery powered...I'm personally not terribly tech savvy and didn't have the right tools with me at the time, so I asked a friend of mine who is to put them together. I am sure with a little research on the internet could yield some good results for how to wire basic LEDs...